" Forty percent…that’s how many New York Adults 18+ said they used social networking in the past month in the brand new twelve-month Scarborough release, up from just 17% a year ago! In raw numbers, that’s 5.7 million adults in the market who can’t do without their Facebook or Twitter!
With the emphasis on all things digital in this edition of the NYMRAD newsletter, it is an ideal opportunity to mine the just-released New York Scarborough information to see what’s happening digitally in the market. We’ll also focus on the characteristics of consumers in New York who are visiting radio station websites and listening to local radio on-line.
Please note that when we reference “This Year” in Scarborough, that is the newest twelve- month database (Release 2 2010, September 2009 to August 2010). “Last year” refers to Release 2 2009, September 2008 to August 2009. All of the estimates quoted will be for Adults 18+ in the New York metro.
More key trends:
· 16.0%, or 2.2 million Adults 18+ in New York, are reporting that they have listened to the radio on the internet in the past month. Last year, only 10.8% said they listened to the radio on the internet in the past month.
· Blog use in the past month is up to 15.0% from 11.3% a year ago.
· More than a half million more New Yorkers said they have used the internet for watching or downloading TV programs in the past month compared to last year, up now to 13.0% of all Adults 18+
· More than a quarter (26.1%) of all Adults 18+ now own a Smartphone
|In the past month, used internet for:||Release 2 2009Sept 08—Aug 09||Release 2 2010Sept 09—Aug 10||Gain Since Last Year (Persons)|
|Social Networking||16.6% /2,310,515||40.3% / 5,721,079||+147.6%|
|Listen to the Radio*Listen to a Local Radio Station On-Line||10.8%/1,502,057(Not Asked)||16.0% / 2,280,53510.1% / 1,435,802||+51.8%|
|Blogs (Read or Contributed To)||11.3% / 1,578,411||15.0% / 2,137,891||+35.4%|
|Watch or Download TV programming||9.6% / 1,339,138||13.0% / 1,853,789||+38.4%|
|HH Owns a Smartphone (Blackberry, iPhone, etc.)||(Not Asked)||26.1% / 3,711,314|
Radio On-Line...Who’s Visiting Your Site and Who is Listening?
The latest Scarborough report shows that over two million Adults 18+ in New York visited any radio station website in the past month. That’s 14.1% of all Adults and up nearly a quarter of a million persons since last year.
And nearly 1.5 million Adults 18+ said they listened to a local radio station on-line in the past month.
How much do you know about these consumers? Are you using the data available to you to sell the quality of those visiting your website or listening to your station on-line? Here is what Scarborough says about these individuals and how they compare to the general population.
Clearly, those who have visited a radio station website or listened to a local radio station on-line in the past month outpace the market in terms of median household income, on-line spending, and time spent on the web.
Let’s look at some additional characteristics of those who have listened to a local radio station on-line in the past month. Among the categories in Scarborough where these on-line station listeners had “off the chart” indices:
· They are 156% more likely than the market as a whole to have the value of investments for their household at $1,000,000 or more
· They are 147% more likely to have personally purchased men’s clothing in the past year
· 141% more likely to have personally drunk Red Bull in the past week
· 140% more likely to have personally attended/visited Carnegie Hall in the past year
· 121% more likely to have shopped The Disney Store for children’s/infants’ toys in the past year
· 110% more likely to have bought sporting event tickets on the internet in the past year
Similarly, here are some high-indexing characteristics in Scarborough of those who have visited a Radio Station Website in the past month:
· It is 75% more likely that their household uses Fidelity Investments
· They are 70% more likely than the market to have bought consumer electronics on the internet in the past year
· They are 69% more likely to have purchased clothing at Banana Republic in the past three months
· 60% more likely to have bought computer hardware/software on the internet in the past year
· 48% more likely that their household owns a Smartphone (BlackBerry, iPhone, etc.)
We have just scratched the surface of the vast amount of current data available on digital categories for New York. Whatever qualitative source you use, dig deeper to determine the stories that can be found for your specific station’s audience. In Scarborough, for example, you can look at the characteristics of consumers who said your website is the radio station website they visit most often.
As we look to maximize the revenue that comes from digital, knowing more about your digital audience and being able to paint a clear picture for advertisers are key. Talk to your qualitative data representative and be sure you are mining all of the valuable digital stories that are available. "